Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Reaction to Phil Coke Closing Today



I really like Phil Coke. He's effective against lefties. He seems like a great guy. But he struggles against right handed hitters. By “struggle”, I mean that they kill him. I know this. You know this. Phil has to know this. And certainly, Jim Leyland should know this.

But today, instead of going “closer by committee”, as he said he would, Leyland stubbornly left Coke in to get shelled and blow the game. Yes, the Tigers should score more than two runs against terrible pitching. Yes, Austin Jackson probably should have come up with the ball off of Escobar’s bat. And yes, Benoit walking Plouffe was the start of something bad. But counting on Coke to get righties out to close out the game with Alburquerque and Dotel picking their noses in the bullpen was beyond stupid.

The following are reactions from all over to the events as they unfolded…

EVERY TIGERS FAN WATCHING: I can see that this is a bad idea.
EVERY TWINS FAN WATCHING: I can see that this is a bad idea for them, ya know.
AFRICAN CHILD THAT HAS NEVER SEEN BASEBALL: I can see that this is a bad idea.
RICHARD BERNSTEIN: Even I can see that this is a bad idea.
SCOOBY DOO: Ruh roh.
ME: …
JIM LEYLAND: I think this is a good idea…

No comments:

Post a Comment